Search

Antifreeze Poisoning


Both cats and dogs are at risk, and just a teaspoon amount could kill a cat.


They don't even have to drink it - they can be poisoned from grooming it off their coat and paws.


Where could my pet come into contact with antifreeze?


Antifreeze is present in car radiator coolants, windscreen de-icing products, and sometimes in brake fluid and in paints. So garages are the most common source.

  • You should check you car for any leaks (have a look underneath it when it's been parked).

  • Keep antifreeze and de-icer well out of the way for your pets.

  • Cash your hands well if you've been de-frosting your windscreen with de-icer or topping up your cars' coolant.

  • Clean up any spills really well.

What are the signs of antifreeze poisoning?


Signs of antifreeze (ethylene glycol) poisoning are:

  • Suddenly drinking lots

  • Looking wobbly or falling over

  • Panting (cats should never pant)

  • Lethargy or excessive sleepiness


Why does it happen?


Ingesting antifreeze can be fatal.


The ethylene glycol can cause kidney failure, coma and death within hours.


If your cat or dog looks wobbly or suddenly wants to drink a lot, contact your vet urgently.


#winterpethealth #antifreeze

0 views0 comments

© WoodhamLaneVets January 2021

  • Facebook - Grey Circle